PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Ace - TV
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2004, 22:27
proplover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read with intrest all the previous posts, and I to feel great programme but its lost its way. Of the 3rd episode did anyone time how much of the programme was spent showing the training aspect. A few comments about RPM, boost, temperatures, "keep the nose up" and " small burst of power" being about it. Some nice aerial shots whilst transiting to the south coast and a wizz over the cliffs (reapeated in case you've missed it the 1st time - in fact there were several repeat shots of various items). Felt the " flying in formation" part was just glossed over, not even a post sortie interview with Dave. What were the problems, what manovoures did you do, did your arms and eyes ache, etc etc. Apart from the intro we never saw Pete Kinsey again!
Its hard work flying close in normally but imagine the thrill of flying a Spitfire in formation with another one!

I read somewhere that Carolyn did some 14hrs of sorties for this series of programmes, wonder what the film companies budget was for all this? I doubt if we've seen more than an actual 30 mins of Grace Spitfire airborne time with even less of that 30mins on the "training".
(No doubt some keen Pruner will give me an exact count to the second in a few minutes to prove me wrong!)

Perhaps "The Spitfire Pilot in the Battle of Britain - Then and Now" might of been a better title.