PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyroscopic precession engineering question
Old 4th Apr 2024, 21:41
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Did you re-read your post? You just made my point. The checklists is the most basic simple protection humans have designed because... the brain ain't that good. This has nothing to do with the white glove. The Air France accident was caused by overreliance in automation and pilots inadequate to pick up the error because... the brains were overloaded.
Yes, I wrote what I meant to write - mandating the use of an emergency checklist isn't because our brains are no good, its because we are often too quick to assume we know what has gone wrong and are often incorrect.

Many complex failures have only been survived because of the detailed knowledge of the systems by the crews involved.

Most of the pilots I trained with in the military could do the whole start and stop checklist from memory along with the emergency drills so the brain isn't the problem there - stress is the problem where the brain tries to go from A to Z ignoring B to Y on the way and why dumbing down to Pavlovian responses based on very basic information just doesn't work.

The Air France pilots were confused by the number of alerts and warnings they received and the unexpected response from the aircraft since they were both trying to fly it at the same time (doesn't work with sidesticks). They simply failed to fly the aircraft - and when that happens you are on a hiding to nothing whether you know everything or nothing about the machine.