PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyroscopic precession engineering question
Old 4th Apr 2024, 18:36
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
That is patently untrue and the existence of emergency checklists demonstrates this - the flashing white glove around the cockpit has caused far more accidents than knowing too much about the aircraft.

The Air France accident was caused by not knowing how the AP worked or understanding the hierarchy of control on the sidesticks - yes Attitude Power and Trim would have saved the day but being swamped with information and panicking because you don't understand it is how to kill hundreds of people.
Did you re-read your post? You just made my point. The checklists is the most basic simple protection humans have designed because... the brain ain't that good. This has nothing to do with the white glove. The Air France accident was caused by overreliance in automation and pilots inadequate to pick up the error because... the brains were overloaded.

If they had kept their brain focused on basic & simple aerodyn - hence disregarding all technical messages - they would have realised that high altitude, a pitch up of 20° is simply not surviveable as TOGA power is nothing compared to what is available on the ground. And exactly this SKILL is the part UNDERtraining is discussing and where all regulations have been adapted with extra high altitude upset recovery excercises.

Pilot technical knowledge as explained in FCOMs is what I call "blackbox theory". It says a little about what comes in, and a little about what comes out. The rest is a giant black box. That knowledge is basic and not to be overrated. Our job is to stay within the controllable flight envelope. If a system is not working, we switch it off. If there is an alternate, we use the alternate. Simple.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that, I made my point boringly enough. Back to rotor dynamics (if one still dares :-))