PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problem with CFI, need help, please.
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2024, 14:33
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
The bulk of learning should be done out of the aeroplane, with slides, white/blackboard presentations, videos, dialogue with your instructor in briefings.
The flying part is then to consolidate that, ensure it sticks and can be applied, and then move on.
Books are a lousy way to learn anything, just a good way to store knowledge. I don't encourage my students to use books as their main source of learning, albeit that they are a vital part of the mix.
Too much of an over simplification in my view Genghis. For some people it is best to learn by doing and then to consolidate from ground study when the words will have greater meaning. A very short and to the point pre-flight briefing will enhance the lesson for most: this is what we are going to do, how we are going to do it and finally the aim. Lawings could be someone who continuously wants to race ahead and enjoys study but is prone to running before he can walk and unwitting skips important elements. I do not allow my students to move onto Ex 6 until they demonstrate a grip on the effects of controls (primary and further), effects of speed and power. Until they do you might as well be talking Chinese.