PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2024, 13:57
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Just an ex AC customer here, so I'll say my bit and then continue lurking. I was a CCF cadet and attended the local VGS and was later the lucky recipient of a Flying Scholarship. Both were a tremendous encouragement for applying to become an RAF pilot and both it would seem have all but disappeared (the FS then got you a shiny new PPL for nowt, other than the cost of the licence itself). As a recruiting aid the VGSs were well worth the modest cost they incurred to the taxpayer, given that the manpower involved was/is voluntary. The cunning plan worked and I duly became a GD/P.

Today an air minded youngster has little such encouragement and must remain swaddled in the HSE straightjacket inhibiting the learning of risk assessment that in my time began with 1.01; climbing a tree and then crawling out on its branch. What is going to happen if rapid expansion of our armed forces is called for? Little pre-service experience available and what there is for adventurous youngsters seemingly favours the ACF and CCF Army sections. Fewer and fewer RAF flying stations which are hence over crowded and too busy to host school children for any purposes, let alone air experience. A pilot training system that is barely capable of training any who persevere against the odds of being recruited, never mind becoming operational. As to currency, unless sausage side, minimal I suspect. All in all a bad portent for the future. It needs leadership to turn this mess around. In my time there was time to get rid of the deadwood and promote the achievers required. Not anymore. The RAF desperately needs a new Trenchard to make it fit for purpose. Where is he/she?

See? I didn't mention airworthiness once, did I? Doh...
The following 9 users liked this post by Chugalug2: