PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-3
Thread: Cardiff-3
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2024, 08:07
ATNotts

Received 318 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TOM100
I don’t see HUY or MME as being so relevant as they have never really been of a size (pax wise) comparable to CWL. I made some points about SOU and SEN in earlier posts.

So, if I follow your train of thought through - the large airlines have chosen BRS and won’t operate at CWL and I don’t see new entrants into the UK market, then the aviation related business of CWL looks pretty bleak. I don’t see how non aviation businesses can make the airport a viable going concern.
I think in your 2nd paragraph you have hit the nail firmly on the head. The clustering of airlines around particular larger airport is a fact. Airports such as Cardiff are going to struggle to attract large new based fleets. Managements can offer incentives galore but if airlines can't see a path to increasing market share and more importantly profit they aren't going to bite.

I absolutely get that Wales wants its capital to have a thriving airport but it isn't always possible. Take Bratislava as an example, overshadowed by Vienna, or Ljubljana neither of which enjoy enormously successful airports.

Best hope is for Cardiff to develop a niche for itself over and above passenger traffic. There is already the BA maintenance facility. Perhaps cargo could also be attracted, the freight sector isn't served by BRS to any degree.