PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-3
Thread: Cardiff-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2024, 22:32
pug

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by TOM100
I respectfully don’t agree with all your points and don’t think HuY and MME are great comparisons. I am sure we will not agree.

CWL has survived as a result of the Welsh taxpayer, which I agree with - Wales should have a national airport.

But taking your point about diversification- can you tell me what success the current team has had since the pandemic in non aviation revenue or what is on the horizon or what the current strategy is ?

The number of airlines is not relevant - those that remain are bigger and as I pointed out this impacts every other airport as does competition.

if 2m were prepared to use the airport before why wouldn’t they again ?
Why are HUY, NME and let’s not forget SOU (which you now neglect to mention) poor comparisons? SEN too?

How is the number of airlines not relevant? It is directly relevant and is why all examples I’ve just provided have lost market share to other airports. Why? Because most airlines have chosen to consolidate at fewer, larger departure points. That is why, even though more passengers are travelling now than 20 years ago, they’re flying with a smaller number of airlines and those airlines have chosen not to fly from CWL but BRS and cannot justify flying from both.

You can of course choose to disagree if you wish, but I’m offering empirical evidence and you appear stuck in a mindset not fitting of today’s operating environment. I suggest to you therefore that what CWL needs in order to grow in the way you appear to be championing, is new airlines entering the U.K. market, not a better management team at the airport.

Last edited by pug; 3rd Apr 2024 at 22:51.