PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post drifts valet observatio
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2024, 21:30
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
FWIW - Twas 45+ year since I were forcibly Latinised in my final year at Middle School (The great Scottish 3 tier edification experiment) where those few of us selected as being "The Bright Ones" in the year were herded off to an hour of Latin three times a week while the rest of the class, I assume those regarded by the staff as irredeemable knuckledraggers got to go to such useless activities as Home Ec.,i.e. cooking for survival, Sex Ed. (We were left to work that out on our own. Never been sure if that was a good thing or not) and R.E..

Out of the roughly 10 that this indignity was inflicted on, I think only one went on to use it in later life and that didn't work out too well. Not quite a Walt in his own right, but....

He used it to get into Cambridge for an otherwise wholly impractical degree, then joined the Foreign Office and was posted abroad, but left under somewhat of a cloud some years later after waking up naked in a Cairo slum without phone, wallet, the diplomatic pouch he was carrying with a large amount of cash & some very sensitive papers, nor any sign of the rent boy he'd picked up three nights before on his way home from work. And this was back in the day when any possibility of non-standard orientation was actively frowned upon. Nobody is really sure what he's doing now, but it was strongly rumoured that he was was working for a US bank and was a highly paid Middle East adviser....... It Figures.....