PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Industry - Too old??
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2004, 21:37
carbonfibre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Old

OK here goes

Im now 37 and half way through my IR, it is difficult and the money goes not very far on this course.

However i came into flying some 5 -6 years ago after a trial lesson and basically have done a rating a year,paced myself and learned a lot through it. I understand i may not have a job at the end, but this has become a personal challenge too.

My aim is to fly with someone small, Turbo prop operator, regional etc , not worried about large airlines, i was extremely realistic when i came into this and i f i got a job working for an operator flying that paid enough for me to live on i would be very happy.

However if i dont get a job, although dissapointed, its not the end of my world, i have met fantastic people in aviation, and would continue to fly as a hobby with my IR and still keep applying.

I have never given up work so i have a full time job too, which like most of us with that middle age crisis is not that exciting and yearn to be in the office with the best view, that said, bills must be paid.

But most of all if you do embark on such a trek into the unknown, ensure your family is fully behind you, its expensive, tiresome and very frustrating.

But enough of that its all worth it if you understand all that was written on these replies that people have posted

Have fun flying and be realistic, you wont go wrong

Good luck

ps, my first instructor flies for a regional and got first job at 42, know another at 51 and an AOC op at 36. This said they did have a few thousand on instruction but supply and demand and all that