PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2024, 15:59
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting discussion . . I am not at all an encomiast nor I have the pretention to know this area very well , my point was indeed on the long term , and return to investment strategies , putting short term gains before strategy.. My solar panels example was perhaps wrongly chosen bur reflects our times. Sustainable energy is a Government long term objective , solar panels availability is one of the key elements, on which your future depends. Maninthebar , I get you point about olive oil or apples production but those are not essential activities , Aviation and sustainable energies are, and Governments , just like Boeing BOD decide the way forward, not the " markets".. In the solar panels issue , depending 100% on China for an essential activity, just because it make short term economical benefit will backfire one day . mark my words. . Just like it does now with 5G or the medical drugs production in Europe.
and I fully agree with WR 6-3 that the length of the "term" is getting shorter every day.

@WR 6 -3 : On the of borders protectionism , indeed in the XXIst century that notion has been blurred by the combination of space based essential services and over-reliance on internet based activities, Cloud- based storage of data and even banking activities. Those know no borders indeed , and in Civil aviation Traffic management ( my area of expertise) the words " sovereign States " has lost a lot of its original meaning since 1944 when it was first used to draw ICAO convention.
\
Boeing used to be a pure US Company competing with a few foreign manufacturers during many years . Today Airbus ,their main competitor, is a multinational whose production is in 4 different countries and its headquarters in a 5th one. , same for ATR on the turboprop front.. The notion of protectionism by one State against another is blurred .and frankly useless. If Boeing fails , the US airlines will have not much choice to buy Airbus , at any price.

On the Space front, another area I am learning a little bit about everyday , the so called " new entrants" and the future upcoming wars will soon completely change the existing rules.. The current militarization of space could make essential satellites services depending on the good will of a single State. The Government of that State might not be a friend of your own .The notion of borders and sovereignty will be completely gone on that field

I do hope Boeing survives this , it is in our common interest it does .