PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-3
Thread: Cardiff-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2024, 09:29
TOM100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, there have been some wins but where is the sustained growth and re-growth that is being experienced at nearly every other UK airport (SEN springs to mind as an exception - another example of poor management and ownership) ? Yes, I agree that airlines have to step up but what are the other airports doing that is seeing them grow whilst Cardiff”s numbers are in decline ? CWL arguably has a bigger catchment, more benign ownership model (than say, BOH, EXT) and cannot sustain growth. I am just pointing out it’s like Einsteins parable of quantum insanity to keep doing the same things and expecting different results.

Wizz failed (airline performance shambolic admittedly), CWL is only UK airport QR have not returned to, VY stagnant with lower flights than pre pandemic, TUI stagnant and a monopoly, KL down to 2 flights a day, Paris dropped, EDI numbers down, FR growth yes, but not spectacular - it’s not a great record and it should be better with air traffic demand now back to pre pandemic levels and growing and reportedly good LFs ex CWL obviously yield dependant. This airport is capable and has handled 2m plus pax a year - now it is less than 1m. Something is not working. Yes we can look to airlines, but other airports are growing with the same macro background - why ?

2 airports can be successful side by side like CWL/BRS - see EMA/BHX or GLA/EDI.

i hope the WG are talking or have talked to RCA who offer a management service but keeps the ownership in Welsh hands. I want this airport to thrive - I just think there needs to be change, it’s a great facility.

Last edited by TOM100; 3rd Apr 2024 at 09:55.