PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B58 Gear Up at Gold Coast Airport (Coolangatta)
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 22:02
43Inches

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts
It was nothing of the sort - having gone in and out of OOL while they circled (near on 3 hours, not the "one" stated), they remained incredibly calm and professional, even with numerous jet traffic coming and going, and day turning to night.
Having had a few gear malfunctions over the years the Adrenalin doesn't really kick in until the last 5 minutes when you realize you might actually be landing sans all wheels. I think circling for 3 hours is a bit excessive though, burning off fuel I don't think is a massive consideration unless you want to land below max landing weight, which if they were about to land at the start sounds like it was already achieved. I do know of a few situations though where playing with the un-fixable situation for too long has led to an accident or low fuel state when a landing would have ended in a non event a lot earlier. Not saying you should rush these events, but don't dither around once it's clear its not coming out, anything else could happen and your own fatigue and stress levels are building up all the time making the final landing more difficult. There's been plenty of unintentional gear ups with lots of fuel on board to demonstrate the plane does not explode on contact with tarmac, unless of course its some form of fighter jet.
The following users liked this post: