PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A different take on Vuichard
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 14:42
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
I have said this before but here goes again. My only time in true VRS occurred at 2000 ft AGL. Student had done 6 very nice recoveries from IVRS. We had one last go. Down wind pulling 18MAP in a Hughes 300. Airspeed has gone below 30 kts, GPS ground speed about 8. IVSI showing 700 ft a min airspeed indicator now less than 20 knots. Ac has already gone through the Hughes rumble ( loss of translational lift ) . I ask the student to recover, to my surprise he pulls full collective, almost instantly the ac pitches about 75 degrees up, no movement on the cylic. I glance at the IVSI which now is rapidly going south of 1500 fpm. I apply full left pedal and full forward cylic, NOTHING happens apart from my ring piece puckering. In desperation I dump the collective and push full right pedal. Now then ac is pitched what feels like 90 degrees nose down with ASI rapidly accelerating towards VNE. At this point the ground is worryingly close, gingerly apply rear cylic and a load of collective to stop the disc overspeeding. Pull the ac out just above tree top height. Back to airfield to change underwear . This is why I think Claude has never experienced VRS. Now i do a bit of line work ( about 1500 hours so not that experienced compared to a lot ) only problem with stepping left or right is a load of shouting from the ground crew as one swings the load into them ! I have always found it better to push forward but always willing to learn.
The following users liked this post: