PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 11:32
chevvron

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by 621andy
I can't speak for 637, but 621's history can be traced back to 1943 when it was formed at Weston Super Mud as no. 87 GS and stayed there until they were kicked off by DeSavary in 1993, the longest any School stayed in one place. They've moved around since then but have been at Rissy sharing facilities with 637 for some years now. But all that history will disappear due to some pen-pusher's whims
I can remember being asked to help out with starting a 'new' VGS at Gaydon in about 1966; I was at 613 (Halton) at that time and I declined because it would have been too far to travel and I was still at school studying for 'A levels. This VGS was of course 637 but whether it had a 'history' prior to 1966 I don't know.
612 VGS had a 'history' and the most recent details I am aware of were that it was formed from HQAC gliding flight at White Waltham (after HQAC moved to Brampton and the RAF relinquished control of White Waltham airfield) ln the '70s having been operated as a detached flight of 613 Halton then it was re-numbered and moved to RAF Benson in about 1980 and re-equipped with Ventures. It did exist prior to this but when this was I don't know; in any case it didn't exist continually as had 621. Subsequently when RAF Abingdon closed and all flying transferred to Benson, 612 was temporarily 'boltholed' to operate alongside 613 at Halton until new facilies were in place at Abingdon.
The following users liked this post: