PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Mossie airborne...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 10:10
Jhieminga

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jabflyer2200
Re treadigraphs post. I hope the next Mosquito does go to the UK. It wont be helped by the astounding statement.on the latest The Peoples Mosquito facebook post which claims that (mosquitoes built in new zealand) are not subject to the stringent and rigorous CAA controls a UK based aircraft would have to face….Astonished!
I had a chat with a TPM member last year during which the same statement turned up. As has been mentioned, Avspecs do not have the A8-20 paperwork needed to qualify as a CAA approved organisation. Because of this, a Mossie from Avspecs would have to be treated as an airframe with unknown provenance and unknown maintenance records by the CAA, probably leading to it not getting onto the UK register. The actual CAA controls are similar to what Avspecs work to, or what the FAA requires, but their regulations offer more leeway for airframes with a checkered past. The Avspecs airframes currently flying are all registered in the 'Experimental' category in the US, the UK does not offer a similar option and it is this stumbling block, along with (I guess) the PR angle of having a UK-built Mossie, that may have lead to TPM going down the route of setting up a Mosquito production line for a single example in the UK.