PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work and rest time regulations.
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2024, 19:29
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10JQKA
Always thought the 7on (6 shifts) 3off then start early was one of the most fatigue inducing patterns as far as chronic (long term) fatigue goes, which is the type which sends you to an early grave 10 years before you should have. It's great for the ANSP as they are fulfilling their FRMS responsibilities as very little fatigue in the cycle, but what is a day off worth as far as replenishing the batteries over the long term ? I and many sleep scientists argue much more. Acute (in cycle) fatigue is fixed by some catch up sleep, Chronic fatigue is fixed by rostering that doesn't allow it to occur. ANSPs could not care less what yr longevity outlook is and neither do regulators so long as the acute frms rules are ticked off.

It's 108 days off per year which is 4 more than a M-F office hours worker. But in fact most office workers do max 9 day fortnights (130 days off/yr) and much less if we now include all the WFH arrangements that have taken off since covid. Which makes that pattern even worse in fact.

Any ATC H24 roster which doesn't provide 156 days off per yr is below par IMHO.
Of course, it all depends how you look at it.

The other view would be that Monday to Friday workers have 40 extra working days than H24 watchkeeprs. At my unit the majority of each watch on a given cycle do not do night shifts, so they do get 4 days off per cycle.

Not sure what you mean by 'most office workers do 9-day fortnights'. I certainly don't. I'd also dispute your claim that WFH means working much less.