PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work and rest time regulations.
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2024, 15:08
Equivocal

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 10JQKA
Always thought the 7on (6 shifts) 3off then start early was one of the most fatigue inducing patterns as far as chronic (long term) fatigue goes,....
Not sure that I understand most of the points that you are making in your post but, from my perspective, when I worked the 7/3 pattern I found it fitted my personal lifestyle very well. I have since spent a good few years basically working office hours and I find it very tiring to the point of fatigue on occasions.

And that's the problem with working hours guidelines and rules....everyone is different. It's notable also that much of the guidance in the aviation sector appears to believe that the majority (i.e. the normal person) is an early bird rather than a night owl whereas there is research which suggests that natural circadian rhythms tend to be spread fairly evenly between the two extremes. And, more significantly, perhaps for ATC staff more than pilots, little consideration can be given to the lifestyle/situation outside the workplace which, in some cases may have a substantially greater effect on fatigue than working patterns.