PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2024, 15:46
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
An Occasional Visitor

I was never lucky enough to see a Canberra at Bovingdon. I suppose as an occasional visitor they would have been the largest jet that Bovingdon could comfortably accommodate. Was it the Headquarters of Bomber Command at nearby High Wycombe or the bright lights of London that attracted them to the place ? An example was usually on display on the public 'Open House Days' at Bovingdon. As I work from newspaper reports and other unofficial publications and unwilling to travel to the National Archives to read the official Accident Reports, there is a degree of conjecture in what I'm putting down here.......

ACCIDENT TO CANBERRA PR7 WT 529 AT SUDBROOK, LINCS 16TH JANUARY 1956.

Well as usual I cannot find an image of the subject aircraft to display -

Canberra PR7 WT 503 at Biggin Hill Battle of Britain Display 19th September 1959. (Many thanks to AirHistory net and Jerry Hughes).

A couple of points here. It appears that this sortie, which originated from West Raynham, Norfolk was an Air Test combined with a visit to Bovingdon. It would seem that no evidence was offered at the inquest that this Canberra had landed at Cranwell, only that an eye-witness at Sudbrook thought that it came from the direction of Cranwell. There apparently was some speculation about what it was doing in the area in the first place and talk of loitering to burn off fuel - forgetting that the crew were tasked with performing an Air Test. Doubtless choosing the less crowded upper air-space of Lincolnshire for this purpose rather than airspace converging on the London TMA.

This is purely to show the distance in statute miles between West Raynam (R) and Sudbrook. It probably bears some slight resemblance to the actual flight path that the Canberra took.

Sudbrook viewed looking to the North-west. Almost equi-distant between Barkston Heath and Cranwell.

Grantham Journal.

Sudbrook looking North. The entrance to Manor Farm where the Deans lived and worked is highlighted. Here demolished and built upon. I've arrowed the approx area where possibly the Canberra dived in. There is a small depression there about 16 feet diameter - it could of course just be a water trough.

Showing new housing on Manor Farm with the probable crash site arrowed.

Wing Commander Bob Cole DFC. AFC.

Squadron Leader Needham's resting place at St Mary Churchyard, East Raynham, Norfolk.

https://www.hawkertempest.se/index.p...quadron-leader

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 31st Mar 2024 at 23:10.