PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard TAP A321 Landing at Madeira Airport
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2024, 15:16
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
OK, it’s a difficult airport, especially in strong winds but that doesn’t mean you can just ignore all the SAC; after all, these are the places where margins are slimmer and you really need to be on your A-game. These rules (not guidelines) are there to protect the aircraft and occupants from incidents and accidents. Our OM C has a lot to say about LPMA, mostly in capitals and red ink!

The real problem is that if you start busting gates and don’t do anything about it, how long are you going to carry on down that road? Have you psychologically committed yourself to a “landing”, no matter the result of it? In the video they were high and very fast, judging by the attitude, and the last fixed distance marker had disappeared from view before a nose wheel only touchdown. Even then a rejected landing was available and would have been a sensible choice.

Some of it might be training: in my outfit we practice G/As and rejected landings so much that I think I’ve got better at them than a normal approach and landing (wouldn’t take much). But it does put you in the mindset that you can throw it away any time up to reverser deployment and the manoeuvre itself won’t be an issue, therefore the workload and anticipation stress (of a G/A) is lower and you have more capacity to make the decision.
Anyone wishing to learn something from the video for themselves or their colleagues, read this twice. And then centre paragraph again thirce - similar to 4 red on PAPI - you just don't know how low you already went and your colleague probably assumes you actually have a sound intention unfolding. This needs to be trained out physically (SIM will do) not just educated.

The A/C on the tape breaks the first seal by losing the aiming point. All the rest is admittedly quite specific yet not at all surprising.

bravolima553 Uninformed take on both accounts then, no ruffled feathers tho'.