PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will H225 return offshore?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2024, 14:21
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
True. Except that REDL was not an EC225. Quite similar? - yes. Identical ? No. Cockpit epicyclic chip detector light being one difference.
HC, not trying to be rude but having a caution light that might illuminate as a major remedial improvement does not exactly fill me with the warm and fuzzies.

I recall in Cockpit BIMs for rotor blades that got disconnected as they were very unreliable and dozens of false indications on various magnetic chip detectors in all sorts of helicopters.

Today we have HUMS....something pioneered by Bristow as I recall that still takes five hours for analysis that usually takes place while the aircraft in question might be out on another flight.

HUMS, in my view, is the very best warning tool if the data can be processed in a most timely fashion and can detect those very minimal changes that might....operative word....MIGHT be detectable and by discovery prevent an inflight disaster.

A Chip Detector in addition to HUMS is fine....but please do not hang your hat on a chip detector as an effective, accurate, reliable fix to a gear box problem.

We still have to recall what the issue is currently and that is the opinion of those being asked to ride in the 225 as their ride to and from work.

What would you have EC/Air Bus/ Oil Companies/ North Sea Operators do to alter those opinions? Or....is it too late to be able to do that?