PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Standards GA Ready Course
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2024, 06:01
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Like all things in life, it is not all good and not all bad. Personally I think there are green-as-grass graduate CPLs who will benefit from doing the course. I know when I graduated from my CPL course I had experience on a PA28 and a Duchess and not much else - totally useless for a first job up North unless I was some sort of gun (and I wasn't). Despite training in a regional area I don't think I had ever landed on grass or dirt until I moved north.

The reality is that flight schools are churning out CPLs of wildly varying quality and the old concept that "holding a CPL meant you are competent to do the job" just doesn't hold now (and to be honest i am not sure it was that true in the 1990s either).

Having a CPL doesn't mean you have the skills or aptitude for GA Charter work. Some have obvious ability and drive and they walk into a job. They probably don't need the course.

Some have intelligence and ability but really haven't been prepared by their flight school for the realities of a GA transition to an airline career. With some exposure to bush conditions and competence in a C210, the GA Ready course will probably give them the confidence to have a decent crack. Some might decide to instruct instead.

...then there are the others, many of whom might never have any aptitude for a flying job of any sort despit e the $200,000 hole in their future. They might make OK instructors in a sausage factory during a pilot shortage until they have enough hours for airlines. The GA ready course won't help them much.

Mach E Avelli and dr dre suggest that an induction and appropriate ICUS is far beyond the scope of the GA Ready course and would be additional to.
The following 3 users liked this post by Horatio Leafblower: