PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A different take on Vuichard
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2024, 17:59
SASless

Received 563 Likes on 232 Posts
Gordy makes an interesting point.....as probably it is far more likely to encounter this horrid life threatening aerodynamic situation during a landing approach of some kind where the descending column of air catches up to the helicopter and begins to move forward of it.

At which point the floor falls out from under you and down you go.

It can happen while hovering OGE as well.

How many ways is there to encounter it....count them best you can.

How about hovering IGE on a pinnacle and drift too close to the down wind side....might that be a way?

Mustering.....might also provide some opportunities for it to kick off.

I taught it much like Gordy....but put the aircraft into a known downwind situation at 3,000 feet AGL and then asked the Student to do as Gordy described except I asked for the victim to achieve a OGE hover as best possible on the desired heading (down wind) and indicated altitude.

Nature, the laws of aerodyamics and gravity took care of the rest.

Sorry....but no undies got soiled doing these maneuvers as sometimes it was very tame and others not so tame but the concern was more of realizing the controls did not have their full normal authority although they were still working in normal sense but not as one is used to them doing.

One thing I did sense is that fully lowering the collective in a accelerating attitude (pitched down a bit) added stability to the rotor system.

In helicopter flying I am of the opinion there is more than one right answer sometimes and that is always contingent to the many different variations of conditions affecting the situation.

For instance, that is why in Test Flying....achieving the data points as set forth on the Test Card often take many repetitive attempts to get all of them accomplished in a satisfactory manner.