PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Positioning to remote stand.
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2024, 14:48
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Does this type of operation have any impact on engine cycles and therefore time between maintenance ops, are there cool down timings required before restart or is this all fairly negligible in the overall scheme of things?
I can't speak with authority for all engines, but, yes, cycles are counted. In some cases, a cycle during which high power was never applied may not count against maintenance, engine model and operator dependent. In any case, for my experience, if it's operationally prudent, one extra start cycle is not going to get maintenance people upset.

As for cool down before next start, it's a consideration, but manageable. There may be a maximum temperature at which fuel may be introduced during the start, to prevent a hot start. For my experience (starting "manual" turbine engines), you can prolong the cranking a little to reduce the engine temperatures during the start, then introduce the fuel. The important need is to prevent a hot start. If need be, the start can be aborted to prevent a hot start. But, if a start is aborted, the need for a cool down period is likely. FADEC turbine engines, which I have not flown, may be a little different.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Pilot DAR: