PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2024, 08:57
SO24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having spent some 8 years talking about, negotiating & finally completing the runway extension (against all odds given todays green agenda), I can’t see SOU suddenly backtracking & ‘shrinking’ their way to success. As already stated, the scope of the Jet2 business was always too big for SOU given still inherent range limitations in the airports’ operational capability. However it does mean the management will need to work much harder to attract carriers other than EZY. No reason I can see why they couldn’t re-visit previous partners such as Volotea, Vueling for W routes from their extensive European bases? Maybe not likely, but the last week has certainly been a wake-up call. And per my previous note, there are many Euro cities not currently served from either SOU or BOH to choose from. So far, the Jet2 routes practically mirror those served by the current BOH carriers, though it seems they have more expansion planned post 2025 so the clock is certainly ticking - the FlyBe demise should be a summary lesson to all about the over reliance on one partner in any business…..