PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2024, 23:43
Burroughs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomess
Generally is three age brackets for those job hunting. This is from past experience running a GA outfit looking over what seemed like a billion resumes coming through the door each year.

20-30yrs 95%
30-40yrs 4%
40-50yrs 1%

Our preferred candidate age was someone in the second bracket. Sadly they just didn’t exist. And the last bracket, they most certainly did not exist.

The interesting thing was, the more ‘creative’ and interesting CVs, came from the second and third bracket. Past life experience is of interest to myself in addition to flying skills. When my admin said she had a mid 30s boy or girls resume in her hand, my ears picked up, only get a couple a year. All resumes from 20 year olds are the same, most of them have no life experience and cannot even have a decent conversation with you, let alone dress appropriately for an interview. I hired the 35 yr old who then became the CP, and many years later is now a Training Captain on the Airbus at a bigger outfit.
Hi nomess ,

Thanks for your reply and positivity. That being said, I get the distinct impression that I would have to extraordinarily lucky to get anywhere near where I would like to end up. Or, to put it another way, I am most likely to end up exactly where I don't want to be. If it was just a matter of having a go, that would be one thing. But the potential life-changing effects (financial and personal) seem a great risk for an endeavor relying on luck rather than perseverance.

Hopefully I'm not being pessimistic here. Rather, going on the experience of others as far as what Australian aviation currently is and is not. Another time, another place maybe. It is a shame, but I can live without being a pilot.

All the best.