PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2024, 23:39
Burroughs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
If you think you could be interested in instructing there are great careers doing that for people who are tenacious and mature. There is definately a gap in the market for older wiser instructors with life experience as a bonus to pass on to thier students, people who will get to the top and stay there, not nick off as soon as a shiny jet beckons. You need to want to teach and be patient as it's a career that can start off quite slowly but the rewards at the top are great. As an employer of instructors my ideal age would be someone in their 30s upwards. Plus you will not be out in woop-woop.
Many of my grads go on to do survey work, that can be interesting and again they need people who will stick around.
I wouldn't recommend an integrated course personally as you don't have enough command hours when you finish to be of any use to anyone. Also you might find being in a classroom with people much younger to be frustrating at times (I speak as someone doing a uni course in my 60s) Spend half as much and go non-integrated, build up your hours and add ratings when you need them, don't spend money on things you won't be using for years, if ever.
Hi Clare Prop ,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have great respect for brilliant teachers and the difference they can make in the lives of their students. Unfortunately instructing is really not where I see myself in aviation.

All the best for your uni course. Yes, I find many people frustrating. Hopefully there a a few there that are also inspiring or at least interesting.