PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Air Ambulances having it off???
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2024, 15:31
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
I took Northernstar's link idea one stage further and had a quick look at another non-blue-light UK emergency service charity: the RNLI (Link here)

They managed to spend over 75% of their total for last year (£177.2m of £233m) on charitable expenditure, with just under 24% going toward fund-raising expenses. They had one person being paid £140k-150k and 2 earning £150k-200k. I know there is a huge element of apples vs pears here (lower crew costs for starters; I shouldn't think the RNLI has any need for a medical director, and aircraft maint is possibly in a different order of magnitude compared to boats), but I think the RNLI model is one the many disparate Air Ambos could learn from. Just keep Gov't money out of it - we would never want to see another farce like the National Police Air "Service" debacle, would we?

Am now going to have a ferret around a charity using the name (County Air Ambulance) previously carried by the Midlands Air Ambulance, to see what they actually do with their income. Fascinating stuff - thanks again, Northernstar