PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2024, 15:24
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SotonFlightpath
Yes, Heathrow is very close I pop-up there to pick-up friends relatives from time-to-time. I live approximately 6-miles north of SOU airport and the drive from home to Heathrow is usually around 50-55 minutes, that's home to the short-stay car parks.

In fact, I remember reading an article about the Southampton-born musician Craig David in an American magazine and it stated that he hailed from the 'London coastal suburb of Southampton!'
I'll give you a few more examples.

Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Princess Cruises all list Southampton as "London Southampton" as a departure point on the their relevant website for international markets.

I had an interaction with a very irate passenger a few years ago who was furious that it took over an hour by coach from LHR to the ship. She assumed Southampton was London.

I live in a suburb of Southampton approximately 3 miles SE from SOU. From my driveway to LHR Terminal 5 it usually takes me approximately 55 minutes. This would be for an early morning departure leaving home around 4.30 am. Any later the journey time would be far longer, especially during the peak traffic hours which can extend throughout the day.

In saying that LHR is always my first preference with LGW a close second and STN a strong third. Its sad to say that although I'm local and a great fan of the airport but I've only flown in or out of it seven times in my entire life. Four of those were long before the current terminal even opened,