PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL and IR trg in USA
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2004, 17:24
carbonfibre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK vs USA

OK firstly to answer the question!!

As I have flown in both countries i can only emphasise what someone has already said! If you are looking for a multiple of ratings say PPL, IMC,Night and CPL with hours building i would certainly suggest warmer climates, just for the continuity.

I have been to EFT, IFTA and a few american schools.

EFT have a good rep, IFTA have a less to be happy about, I cant speak for the others except that the HOT at Delta connection for the JAA is Ex Cabair examiner.

I would not do my IR there unless the continuity of seamless training, ie. standards, planes, and intergration with the UK school is firstly considered.

The IR in JAA land is significantly more demanding, not easier, but different, while FL offers the weather it does not offer the variance in conditions which im my estimation would take you an extra 5 - 6 hours depending on the time of year if you are of a good standard and thats at 350 an hour.

Consider the costs also, the flight to FL, the cost of accomadation, training, food, and of course beer not withstanding the visa situation and costs associated with getting that although minimal, you may find that there is nothing in the cost.

With a UK based school you can always visit and confirm what you like about it, it is normally too late when you have travelled so far and start training.

Skyman68 i think i know what you mean, flying training in US is based around flying skills , control of the aircraft etc where as the JAA are more technical and expect a higher level of knowledge before commencing professional training, whereas you add them with the rating, which i have to say i prefer, the standards however are the same so to bin one off against another is false, they just have been tuned to the requiements of an agency thats all.

As for instructors i have not found a bad one yet in the US or EU!! so guess I am lucky, anyhow good flying everyone!!