PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyroscopic precession engineering question
Old 28th Mar 2024, 17:01
megan

Received 427 Likes on 218 Posts
looks like a really old manual, maybe from when Igor Sikorsky was an instructor on your course
Here hang on a minute, date of the publication is 7 May 2007, I graduated 56 years ago, and USN if you please, not Army. I said "have a go at this" thinking it might stir things up.
The second section about nose up or down when rolling into a turn is something that I have never observed in 45 years and 15,000 hours of rotary flying
Might one take away that you could detect the change in stick position caused by the S-76 PBA, in 6,000 hours I couldn't.
when does it act like a gyro? This answer has to do with how the rotor moves if you put an unbalanced aerodynamic lift on the disc. It will respond by moving at right angles to the unbalance just as the toy gyro does, and it does so in exact compliance with the gyroscopic laws that say the angular rate of motion-the "precession rate" —will be proportional to the applied moment.
Is Prouty wrong?

Another discussion on the subject, and where you had the last word AC. Me?All this techo stuff is beyond my intellect.

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-19678.html