PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving to Alice Springs/Darwin form Sydney
Old 29th Jan 2004, 16:21
Pseudonymn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nomorecatering,

as I have said previously, I did the trip two months ago, didn't see many roos at all, but we didn't drive at night that much.
What you will need to be aware of, especially from Pt Augusta up, is cattle, camels and emus.
You hit a cow, easiest way to roll your car, goodbye world. Cows are usually in the shade under trees during the day, but come out onto the road at night, and they are not terribly reflective.
One other thing, if you see an eagle, slow down, they don't move as quickly as other birds if there is good carrion on the road, and one of them through your windscreen is not a good look.
If you look after yourself and your car, you shouldn't have too many hassles, but a service before you go might be a good investment.
With road trains, make sure you give them plenty of room, do not come right up on their bumper as they won't see you, and you won't be able to see around them to the hazards on the road.
The road condition is about the same, if not better than metropolitan Sydney but in some places it is very narrow, so make sure you move right over if someone passes you.

I think thats about it, for now...