PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How good is medical coverage in the USA
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2024, 20:40
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
The thing to watch out for is there is huge variability between insurance plans - even employer supplied insurance plans. Some employers will give you an option of several different plans (usually with significant differences in the employee contribution to the cost).
If you're young and relatively healthy, you may want to gamble on a lesser coverage plan with a significantly lower employee contribution, but as you get older (or if you have pre-existing conditions) you'd be well advised to get the best plan available.
Do research on the company health plan offering(s). Ask around - current employees are usually the best source of information on their experiences with a health plan.

There were a lot of things not to like about working for Boeing, but their health insurance options were first rate (with a very low employee contribution).

25 years ago -at the ripe old age of 42 () I had a heart attack while traveling on company business. I didn't even know it at the time (just felt lousy) - finally going to the doctor after I returned home. Long story short, doctor quickly diagnosed that I'd had a heart attack, had an ambulance take me the one block to the hospital (never mind the actually problem had occurred 3 days on 2,500 miles earlier), angiogram the next day confirmed complete blockage of one cardiac artery, another ambulance ride to a hospital capable of heart surgery, angioplasty and a stint the next day, released to go home the day after that, treadmill and pronounced completely healthy 10 days after that.
Total out of pocket? Just over $100
Oh yea, the type of blockage and resultant heart attack are known in the medical community as "The Widow Maker"
I was lucky in more ways than one...