PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2024, 16:20
stewyb

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see the feeding frenzy has appeared on this thread over the Jet2 announcement. Let’s not forget SOU is still going to reach around 1m pax this year with 8 airline partners and many regionals would be delighted with that. It’s damn obvious that the owners will want more and for the airport to make more money (after all a large investment has just been completed) but this will not happen overnight. I firmly believe easyjet will add further routes in the near future and hopefully a new airline or two will also appear so to speculate as to its future in such a negative manner is foolish at best. SOU will never compete with BOU on holiday business but it can add value to the south coast with a mixture of solid profitable business/ leisure routes and this is what I see continuing to happen, just not at the pace some posters would like. It will only take the relatively small growth mentioned above to hit break even (1.2m) and the airport quickly becomes a viable business again. Some patience and perspective is required as both south coast airports have different USP ‘s and are playing to their strengths/weaknesses.

Last edited by stewyb; 27th Mar 2024 at 16:58.