PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2024, 12:32
SO24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I’m a new contributor with around 30 yrs in the aviation industry, Hampshire born/bred & lived away & overseas for many years but always followed the local aviation scene here with great interest so I hope my comments are relevant & interesting to all. Though without the Jet2 news is a game changer for BOH, my 1st airport of choice has always been SOU given my home location & it’s exemplary access links (I was home via train within 20 mins of arriving from AMS in rush hour again yesterday). I was amazed & delighted to see the runway extension at SOU approved after many years of conjecture, COVID and the environmental sensitive debates that often overshadow the aviation industry these days, but anything that negates a slog up the M3 to board a plane at silly o clock - especially for a short haul flight - makes sense to me. Having said that, the remaining operational constraints at SOU together with the Jet2 development bring the AGS partnership with EZY into laser like focus, and the key more than ever to SOU’s long term future. I completely agree with a previous post that an operation on the scale planned by Jet2 is outside the scope of SOU’s current operational capabilities anyway. However with the day-trip business market largely gone since COVID, servicing VFR and leisure business at competitive rates on an attractive route network will be the key to survival. I had to fly to GLA last Sept before EZY came into the route and had to pay £380 return for the privilege so I welcome EZYs increased frequencies this year and wish them all the best. Though the regional carriers have been SOU’s bedrock in the past, no-one should be afraid of competition in a free market & you're in the wrong business if you are. Ultimately the consumer will decide. If I were EZY and AGP, I would now be stressing their USP ie that EZY are the only carrier to operate low cost/competitively prices sun flights from SOU (I’m excluding BACF due their fare offering) which as all previously stated is a major plus. IMHO they are generally held as the attractive face of LCCs without the cynicism of RYR and I’ve always enjoyed flying with them. Their plans for S25 from SOU will now be critical, as stated there are many other Euro cities that could be potentially served on a ‘W’ pattern, so hopefully some managed growth within SOU’s capabilities will follow. One other observation - having flown from BOH several times in the past couple of years, they will need to up their landside operational game considerably to cope with this huge and sudden influx - the management of retail facilities has been appalling, and I can see gridlock from the A31 on days when there are 20 737MAX departures unless they are planning a major investment in local public transportation. And with the additional summer holiday traffic to the coast, it could take as long to get there as to LHR/LGW - certainly from mid-Hants anyway. It will be an interesting year!