PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS feeling effects of global pilot shortage
Old 27th Mar 2024, 11:43
evilducky

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Prattnwho
Any advice from current or recently left RFDS crew regarding recruitment, conditions and lifestyle at WA, Central or Qld sections? There are job ads every other week!!

Are many pilots recruited by Qld section with less than advertised minimums? Understandably complex operation so not questioning the need for experience however with the incessant ads surely Qld section must be taking lower hour crew for prolonged ICUS? Curious if the Qld RAMP program has got many takers as well?

Yes, more questions than answers for the gallery.
Can't speak to QLD, but across western and central.

Western Ops definitely the better of the PC12 sections. Stronger EBA, better pay, more comprehensive service, all NG fleet (central still with some classics). Some really good people at the top and in training and checking. Not perfect but as solid as it gets in GA. Semi-closed tender for their contracts with the state government - they don't have Pelair breathing down their neck like Victorian and South Eastern sections had/still have. Western also does almost all the medical component in house - doctors/nurses/ops team. Makes for a pretty good atmosphere and tight teams on the bases.

Regional base to start, expect Meeka, Hedland or Kal. Each base has its own shortcomings. Broome in 1-2 years. Jandakot in 2-3 years. Shorter if you're lucky, some people landing Jandakot within a year. Rosters can be hard when the bases are understaffed, but you'll do 18-20 shifts in 28 days, nearly all standby from home. Commonly morning/morning/afternoon/afternoon/night/night/grey day/ then RDO x 3. 700ish hours per year in the logbook, the FRMS caps you at 750. Hours are harder than the numbers make it sound, most guys are cooked at 750. Big duty days after decent standby periods, and lots of back of the clock.

PC24 within 3-4 years if you really want it, are competent and willing to go back to Broome. Seems like they want to give it to the younger and keener players, there's a little bit of seniority but just being there for a while doesn't guarentee you anything. 2 year bond. PC24 shifts/rosters a bit rough - lots of Broome - Perth return at unsociable hours. Ignore what the propaganda from Central section tells you about the PC24 - in WA it is a sealed surfaces only machine.

Westops will take you with 1500 of the right hours (or even slightly less). IFR, night, turbine, Part 135 - if you tick these boxes and are good with people you'll get a good look in. The job really can't be done with much less than 1500 hours and a decent footing on IFR - the section is set up so every base/crew does aeromed including high acuity primaries. I think my second or third callout after check to line was a nasty medevac in **** conditions, I had barely more than 1500 hours and was ****ting bricks even after 80 hours of line supervision prior to check. I remember getting told in week one that one in three hires don't get through to line check - saw plenty of people scrubbed for not cutting the mustard.

Great memories though. If you've been offered Westops I'd say go for it, you won't regret it.

The following 4 users liked this post by evilducky: