PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in NW UK?
Thread: PPL in NW UK?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2024, 06:36
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks all. I will give Merseyflight at Hawarden a shout as soon as we have settled in. I have well over 100 hours as PIC in my logbook which should make the requirements less stringent, although the timing is such that my Kenyan license will have expired by the time I'm ready to start in the UK. Regardless, all my theory in Kenya was based on the UK system so a refresher and repeat should not be a problem and not be a bad thing to do.

Indeed Wilson airport is one of busiest in Africa by numbers of arrivals and departures, and the ATC situation around the airfield is best described as challenging (see here for instance Mid-air collision at Wilson Apt Nairobi Kenya). Someone told me if you can handle Wilson, you can handle anything. But once away from there, it's all very much simpler than the UK, and ATC procedures seem completely different. TBH, I am a bit intimidated at the thought of navigating all that complex and tightly controlled airspace. The vast majority of my flying has been in and out of dirt strips where you just advise 'Radar' of your intentions at the start, and ToD on arrival, and other than that just announce yourself to the world on the traffic advisory frequency.