PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - drop out of University?
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2024, 19:30
Arena_33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRranger55
hey,
I see that this post was made quite some time ago now. I am currently in a very similar situation as i'm just finishing up my first year of mechanical engineering. i have always wanted to be a pilot and this has been more proven with looking at the career paths available with my current field of study. just wondering how things worked out for you and what path you ended up going down?

thanks and all the best,
It's hard to do at the time but I took the advice given on this thread and stuck it out at university (albeit I changed over to maths and got a maths degree instead). Have a read of the advice I got above and go from there - the best thing about having a degree is that it provides a good back up plan should the aviation industry hit rock bottom again, plus it opens up doors to some well paying jobs to fund flying.

Becoming a pilot is entirely doable whether you go to uni or not, but in my case, I finished my degree, began saving and started training alongside work. I've been training via the modular route for the last couple of years and I've just got my CPL/MEIR to get ticked off and I'll be done. Worth noting that if I had dropped out of uni I would have come unstuck as the pandemic hit 2 years later - no one knows what is around the corner and having a degree with work experience in another industry is a very valuable backup.

Trust your own ambition and motivation - if its there it will carry you through uni and beyond and the life lessons you learn along the way will make it worth it.

Best of luck and always do what works best for you