PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New British Nuclear Warhead
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2024, 14:20
Tartiflette Fan

Received 281 Likes on 158 Posts
Can anyone think why it is necessary

I posted on another thread that new people coming into a job/responsibilities want to make changes to show their employment was the correct decision - is that the case here ?

I have to hope my comment is facetious, but even after devoting 15 seconds of intense thought, I am not sure of the utility of a new war-head. The current system has MIRV war-heads with selectable yields ( 10 KT and 100 KT ). A political decision limits the missiles to five war-heads each ( instead of eight ), and only eight missiles instead of 16. Apparently Johnson made a decison to increase the number of war-heads to the maximum, but the Wiki entry is confused and I can't say what is the true figure.

Anyway, can anyone speculate what the advantage of theis mammoth expenditure - many billions - will be ? It is already MIRV with selectable yield and I seriously doubt that increasing the number of war-heads is the intent, because GB could significantly increase the number of targets by using the maximum available capacity of missiles and war-heads which it is currently foregoing. Possibly this new war-head could have enhanced guidance/steering characteristics making it less liable to interception, but personally I doubt that.

If anyone involved wants to give the low-down, I absolutely promise not to tell anyone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triden...lear_programme)