PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LATAM upset SYD-AKL Mon 11 Mar
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2024, 11:49
Lookleft

Received 204 Likes on 98 Posts
So unless cockpit video were afforded the same protections as the CVR, it's a no go from me.
Why do pilots think that a Cockpit Video recorder would not be given the same protections as all other recording devices including LOSA? Yet as I mentioned there are plenty of pilots who are more than happy to post their latest landing onto social media. I am sure there are also tens of thousands of video images recorded on Ipads that are not posted to social media. Look at the video image taken by the pax onboard the Sea World collision. Because there are no rules around personal footage taken onboard an aircraft then its immediately available for the media. Any protocols and rules for properly installed cameras could be extended to other recording devices taken inside an aircraft, possibly through changes to annex 13. The 737 rudder hardover crashes have never been properly solved, cameras onboard may have shed a bit more light on it. The Max accidents would definitely have benefited from cameras, at least to have protected the crews from accusations of not following proper procedures. Cockpit cameras are just the logical evolution from CVR and 4 channel FDR, to longer recording FDR to QAR and LOSA. The case against cockpit cameras dissipates every time a new video of a landing is posted. Overtime, just like the presence of the QAR, pilots will just forget they are there.
The following users liked this post: