PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic Cabin Air/Aerotoxic Syndrome
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2024, 11:26
Flipster130

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Dear Dogma,
You are entitled to your opinion but I think you sound like a 50-a-day smoker saying 'everything is rosy' in your garden - just because you are still here and so, your 'exception' disproves the rule.
Maybe you have only ever flown new and well-maintained aircraft that don't have fume events and smelly cabins, or maybe you don't have the genetic disposition to the effects of the many pyrolites of engine oil. If so, you are lucky; have you been tested for the genetic bio-markers?
However, it does seem as if you are one of those who doesn't want to believe that the industry (to which most of us here have given the best years our lives) has been less than careful with our health. I can appreciate that might be a big blow to someone's esteem and self-worth which might, in turn, prevent them from accepting the situation - but it may be better to explore the possibility that some airlines and manufacturers have made profits at the expense of safety.
Nonetheless, if you have read the ever-increasing number of peer-reviewed scientific studies with an open-mind, I think you will find the science is becoming more and more clear.

I have to say that I wasn't too sure myself when I first read of Aerotoxic Syndrome. I am happy to admit to having had very little experience of fume events in aircraft types that seem to be regular subjects of air quality issues. I only recall experiencing one fume event in my career - it was in the rear cabin and to which we reacted quickly, so that the FD did not get the smelly socks smell (we think) and we were fortunate to be in a position to descend to10kft and depressurise on approach to London. Likewise, I have had very little first-hand experience of Sheep-Dippers Flu or Gulf War Syndrome but, like most of the rest of the world, I have come to accept the large volume of science and epidemiological research on these and other occupational illnesses. Ultimately, I have done my research and am suitably convinced - hindsight bias maybe but also maybe not?

The bottom line is that, on the balance of probabilities, there appears to be a very strong link between hot bleed-air (contaminated by pyrolised engine oil) in the cabin space and to the ill health of numerous crews and passengers. I believe we are now in a position to know why a large number of my colleagues and friends have been debilitated - or have passed away before their time.... which perhaps is why some of us get emotional. I am sorry you cannot relate to that; it is not done for effect.
F