PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving to Alice Springs/Darwin form Sydney
Old 29th Jan 2004, 12:18
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh dear, these city slickers.........

Get your car serviced, tuned up, radiator checked and tyres less than 50% worn. If you can fit a second spare it could be a useful, cheap investment at the wreckers.

Dealing with road trains? I suggest you don't tackle that problem on, head on. Most of the area you plan to travel is monotonously flat, so you should be able to see far ahead.

Roos? As a general rule, if the area has been subject to recent rains (green grass etc), roos won't be a problem. If dry or in drought, the roos rise for breakie around 1600 and start snoozing around 0500. However, there are early risers and late finishers...... I think you're overstating the problem: I live in the bush, drive 60,000 kilometers each year, drive during night and day, and in the past year hit one small wallaby and twice roos have run into the side of my car. I've taken over two hours for the 90 kms from Auguthella to Charleville (due to 300 roos per kilometer in the drought) and covered the same distance in 45 minutes and not seen a roo.

If it's dry or in drought, emus can be a pest during daylight hours.

PM me if you want additional questions answered.

Oh, and enjoy the trip!