PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lizard Island - Aircraft Overshoot.
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2024, 04:56
nomess

Received 128 Likes on 60 Posts
What I have personally noted, in many glide approaches be it real or simulated, is many establish themselves on final, apply flap generally late, and just hope for the best. Most end up down the far end of the runway. No effort is made to pull back that speed, I put that down to non existent training.

I’ve also found many instructors get nervous with these approaches, they don’t all advise what you should do if you find one self too fast/high. Many simply just perform a missed approach, and do it again, however doing this and that a bit earlier. More education on the ground can be had, doesn’t all need to be in the air if the training organisation doesn’t permit such manoeuvres. Sideslip, S turns, or simply conducting a turn off final, burn some speed, then turn back in. So many options to get oneself successfully on the ground, I don’t think many are trained well for what is the most important part of the forced landing.

I was reading a report on the flipped 210 on Groote. Very similar to this. Speed off the charts, went for a tour down the runway before ending upside down way past the end.