PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in NW UK?
Thread: PPL in NW UK?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2024, 14:49
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by double_barrel
HI all,

I will soon be moving from Kenya to NW England for around 6 months and then on to Edinburgh. My Kenyan PPL is worthless in the UK, although I assume my logbook has value. So I guess I basically need to start again to get a UK PPL. In fact I am very rusty having not flown much for the last 2 years, and the UK airspace and ATC is very different from what I am used to, so a fresh start probably would be a good thing anyway. Any thoughts on the approach to make to UK authorities and a flight school (Harwarden is close) to help with the transition?

Also, what's the cost of flying in the UK?! In Kenya we work on a total cost of around $100/hour for a C172.
NW UK starts about Glasgow.

NW England would be around Manchester.

First useful advice, don't confuse England with the UK, they're absolutely not the same place.

If your Kenyan PPL is ICAO compliant there's a streamlined route to get a UK licence. https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviati...-january-2023/ . Scroll down and click on either "route 1" or "route 2".

As you rightly recognise the UK's law, procedures, airspace, etc. will be quite different to what you're used to - but any decent flying school will I'm sure be happy to put you through some groundschool. Ultimately the air, and the aeroplanes are pretty much the same.

Costs start around £50/hr if you've bought a share in a cheap vintage or amateur built aeroplane, 2-3 times that as a joint owner of something like a PA28 or C172, around £200-£300/hr for a school aeroplane. Much more for higher value aeroplanes, as I'm sure is the case anywhere else.

G