PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2024, 18:57
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cabbage Patch Arrival Bovingdon (Continued)

I'm running out of download allocation so I'll transcribe the next page.

It is sent on behalf of The Commanding General, Headquarters 3RD Air Division, New York by Brigadier General J.P. McConnell Deputy Commanding General.

1. This Headquarters concurs generally with the findings and recommendations of the Aircraft Accident Board.
2. This Headquarters does not concur with the preceding endorsement in the allocation of errors, but does concur that the inexperience of the Co-pilot was a contributing factor in this accident. A lack of teamwork did exist, however, teamwork must be promoted by the Aircraft Commander. In this case, the failure of the Pilot to properly brief the Co-Pilot on his duties was a contributing factor to the accident.
3. The fact that an inexperienced Co-Pilot was assigned to duty on a flight involving weather and night conditions indicates a deficiency in supervisory functions.
4. Recommendations and action taken by the Group Commander, as set forth in paragraph 10 of above endorsement, are deemed adequate to preclude the re-occurrence of a similar accident.

I'm sorry if the text is a bit difficult to read. Nothing to be gained by reproducing any of the Accident Report Images - as always they are very poor.
However I did spend some considerable time looking for an image of C-54 42-72673 without any luck. As a final punt I thought I would check the Bovingdon-Airfield.co.uk link we have with images of USAF aeroplanes and there she was !

Here she is at Bovingdon evidently post-accident - you can just make out the void where the fwd baggage door has been ripped off.

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 26th Mar 2024 at 09:32.