PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart radio transmissions
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2024, 10:45
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Good spot there re the modern Antonov....
I had never noticed that...

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Hilary Swank was a great choice to play Amelia. The photography was splendid with some pretty cinematography moments, the clothing represented the period beautifully and I learned that Amelia took Eleanor Roosevelt up in a plane and gave her a thrill and let Eleanor handle the controls.

Numerous period aircraft were obtained to provide authenticity, including the use of two replica aircraft, a Lockheed Vega and Fokker F.VIIb/3m Tri-motor Friendship (with limited ability to run up engines and taxi).
The Lockheed 12A Electra Junior (F-AZLL) used alongside another Electra Junior, that filled in for the much rarer Lockheed Electra 10E that Earhart used.
Despite efforts to faithfully replicate the period, numerous historical inaccuracies were noted in some reviews.

After filming, the two replica aircraft featured in the Earhart transatlantic flights were donated to museums. The Lockheed Vega is now in the collection of the San Diego Air & Space Museum, while the Fokker F. VIIB/3M tri-motor is now housed at the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario where it was unveiled in 2009 with a local Amelia Earhart reenactor Kathie Brosemer recounting the story of Earhart's flight in 1928.

So, in the end I really liked this Movie, but it was not received with much critical acclaim, and there were a few notable historical inaccuracies of which you have spotted this one.

Its a very pleasant watch however, on a winter's afternoon in front of the Tele...LOL

Last edited by rog747; 24th Mar 2024 at 11:44.