PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 11:50
WHBM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
It's all the more impressive when the aircraft sound penetrates the soundsphere of a big city.
I've noticed various such combinations over the years. Around 1960, in Somerset, very distant aircraft droning late at night, sometimes a bit eerie, penetrating my childhood bedroom, which I now put down to DC7s/Constellations etc heading from mainland Europe to Shannon, before heading out over the Atlantic, probably at about 20k-25k feet.

Various later sounds from Vanguards (what a NOISY aircraft), including in Edinburgh in the 1970s the ability to hear them from the city centre while they were ground manoeuvring out at the airport.

Other more recent combinations, some described in this thread. Antonov 12 UR-CNN is quite audibly overhead at 25k feet right now as I type this inside the house.

Still nothing to beat the rolling thunder noise of Concorde approaching, which always had me going out into the garden ...