PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper crop spraying type crash in Mexico.
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 10:28
RichardJones

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Cedrik
Normally dumping even when pulling up does not overstress the aircraft. Do all the maths you like, doesn't make it so. Talk to an Ag pilot, they actually know. Take the standard waterbombing aircraft now, an 802 is stressed to lower G than a Pawnee, the job is to dump water on fires. The Pawnee referred to was deficient with maintenance which caused catastrophic airframe failure. It is a silly thing to do gender reveals in any way let alone an aircraft.
Well I did 10 years ag flying, on 6 different types. Started 50 + years ago, when just turned 21 years old.
We did practice jettions, using water, every so oftern for possible fire fighting use. We applied solids also, straight out the bottom of the hopper. There is a noticable "rumbling" type vibration if you like. You could feel it through the airframe and stick.
Let me tell you, there is quite a lot of aerodynamic bufferitng, not to mention trim changes. My gut told me it was hard on an aircraft. Disturbed airflow from beneath the elevator/tailplane.
Also chemical is highly corrosive of course. That may have had a part to play. The pullup at the at the point of jettison, whether commanded or uncommanded would have put a lot of stress on that spar, in this accident. The result is there for all to see.
I was asked to do the odd demo. I always refused. The reason being, if I screwed up, I didn't want it to be witnessed by a lot of people. There is no dignity in that.
Air show pilots, have a lot of guts IMHO.

Last edited by RichardJones; 23rd Mar 2024 at 16:48.