PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot grounded over undisclosed anger
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 07:00
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Auxtank
And the absence of an abilty to question or contradict seniority. Thank goodness it was one of events that CRM grew from.
The days of arrogant former military people still adopting their rank and attitude in daily life are thankfully long gone.I can imagine Keys struggling to come to terms with junior ranks daring to question or indeed argue with him and his blood pressure being through the roof.I grew up in the fifties and sixties in country villages where those who didn’t have a peerage or knighthood would use their ex military ranks such as captain,major and colonel to embellish their status.

In some parts of the world the attitude that you’re not allowed to question your elders still exists

That of course was the reason for the One,Two,Go Flight 269 disaster at Phuket,Thailand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Tw...nes_Flight_269

Asia has an issue that elevates respect for seniors .
The Korean culture has two features—respect for seniority and age, and quite an authoritarian style," said Thomas Kochan, a professor at the Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "You put those two together, and you may get more one-way communication—and not a lot of it upward,"Executives of South Korea’s Asiana Airlines say they’re altering its pilot training program to encourage communication among senior managers and subordinates, after a July plane crash in San Francisco that killed three people and injured dozens.

A U.S. hearing into the crash revealed one of the pilots said he did not feel he had the authority to abort a low-speed landing as individuals at a “higher level” had to make that decision, .
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/10/asia...-us-crash.html

This is an interesting discussion and I wish to point out we know nothing about the BA captain who may well be the victim of a malicious attempt to ruin his career.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 23rd Mar 2024 at 10:00.