PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 21st Mar 2024, 20:28
EEngr

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Semreh
For me, if an item can be removed,
Given enough tools, I can remove practically anything.

Back in my days at Boeing (long before plugs began popping out), engineering was responsible for defining functional tests and procedures for doing any sort of out of sequence work. LRUs (Line Replaceable Units) often had pre-written procedures for removal and replacement. These served as checklists to ensure the part was removed (properly, without damaging surrounding structure) and reinstalled without missing a step or part. For infrequently performed work, one-time work orders were generated. Which also served as the checklist. And a record of work performed. Which it seems is missing for this incident.

It's not so much a question of when the next door plug will blow out. It's what happened to the old process. It, as well as a few bolts, appear to have gone missing. And the next time some out of sequence work needs to be done, the overall template for doing/documenting the work won't be there.