PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-3
Thread: Southend-3
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2024, 20:13
Markushillman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expressflight
I don't see SEN being comparable to BLK. Just think back to 2019 at SEN and you can see what was possible then. Yes, I know you'll say that slot shortages elsewhere gave SEN an advantage but that alone didn't make the EZY and RYR routes profitable, as I'm sure they were.
Those RYR aircraft must be invisible nowadays, but I mean seriously evidence suggests the RYR base/routes were not profitable. Yes they had Covid, it was a very unfortunate time etc and they closed the base in 2021. However no sign they are interested in returning. In fact in 2022 they were happy enough to open a base at Newcastle that continues today. If Southend was the holy grail they could have returned quite happily in 22/23. They were more than happy too at other places.
Even adding a few sun routes like they have at other smaller uk airports. But no nothing. Now of course EZY clearly have found a niche with the sun routes, ski routes, and the Paris and Amsterdam, and are clearly serving the routes that are profitable without the risk of setting up a base again.